You Earned Death – Life is Free!
“For the wages of sin is death, but, the free gift
of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 6:23).
Taking last month’s inYou Window a step further, I’d like to ask, have you ever noticed what many people do when they mess up? I ask this because I wrote before how what we do both before and after we sin is often far worse than the sin itself! There seem to be two natural reactions to our sinful behavior:
1. We get mad at God when we get caught and have to deal with the consequences of our sin (or hate ourselves for messing up), and
2. We seek to restore ourselves through any number of self-devised means: promises, apologies, accountability, recommitments…a whole bunch of #2! I don’t suggest we’re insincere in our efforts to fix ourselves from repeating the regretful behavior, but again, we are out of order. Satan has “flipped us off” again! Let me explain.
First, “the wages of sin is death,” so why are you so surprised when you get paid for what you earned?! There is no life in sin, so when we get the death we deserve, why do we blame God? We put in the time, we planned the activity, we carried out the agenda, we worked for the wages and when payday comes we get mad at the Boss! Crazy, huh?
Second, in shame and regret, we will often move toward making up or running away! We will redirect our efforts toward earning God’s favor and acceptance again, or rebelling, not because we find any life in doing things our own way, but because we just can’t seem to live His way! Whether we start earning more of sin’s wages or earning God’s grace, we are blind to the truth: “the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord!”
FLIP! The enemy wants us to work for what we freely receive and exercise our freedom for what enslaves (2 Pet. 2:19). If sin is a wage you earn and grace is a gift you receive, why do we get mad when we get caught and then try to earn God’s forgiveness?! (Or why are we shocked when our sin pays us death and then work for the life God freely gives?)
Satan has no new tricks. His lies are the antithesis of God’s truth. He just wants us to sin. Sin is living independent of God. It’s missing the mark. Sin is unnatural. Sin always devalues us. Sin never works. Sin carries its own punishment, never rewards. And when it comes to our relationship with God, sin is not the problem, but the result of the real problem: pride and unbelief. As long as we are in pride, we will continue to “cash in” on sin’s deceptive promises. And as long as we’re cashing in, we will keep going bad or doing good, but never simply return to God, for “His works were finished from the foundation of the world” (Heb. 4:3).
InYou Ministries Updates
Want to go to PRISON!?
“Orientation for becoming a SCDC regular volunteer will be @ 10 am April 26, 2014 at Brushy Creek Baptist Church, 4999 Old Spartanburg Rd., Taylors 29687. If you would like to minster in a SC prison on a regular basis, you must attend this orientation every 3 years or you will not be allowed in institution. In the past grace was given, now SCDC is committed to the law.” —Chaplain Russell Painter
• Pray for this semester of S.P.I.C.E. (Self-Paced-In-Class-Education) at Tyger River Correctional Institution on Monday mornings.
• Scott is currently re-designing “The FIRM Foundation: Jesus Christ” to use more effectively in prison. Pray for a Grant to subsidize the cost.
FIND InYou’s Indoor Trichotomous Triathlons on Facebook!
Counseling and Training Center
InYou is now actively pursuing a permanent location for counseling individuals and training men and women to disciple discouraged believers to EXPERIENCE and EXPRESS Jesus in the NOW!
Do you know a church or business that would prayerfully consider allowing InYou to “abide” with them permanently? Let me know.
- 1-on-1 discipleship-counsel sessions.
- Every Sunday, 7:30-10 am, Scott helps and teaches @ Refuge—a ministry of FBS to the homeless.
- Every Friday, 6:30 am, inYou men’s discipleship meets @ Scott’s house. Come join us.
- Every 2nd Thursday, 8 am, Scott speaking @ Grace Management
- Mar. 6: Scott spoke on last months InYou Window and used a traffic light to illustrate God’s order @ DHS FCA, 7 am
- Apr. 14: Hugh Brantley, long-time friend and Pres. of SCCF, sent this with a luncheon invitation to 47 ministry leaders in Spartanburg:
- “Scott Wolfe with inYou Ministries, Rob Nelson with Grace Pointe Ministry and Kelly Slate will provide the program as we continue to discuss the trials we face in ministry and how we can work toward a plan to provide emotional and spiritual support for all ministries in our community.” PTL! Pray for me.
- Apr. 20: Preach @ Tyger River Correctional
- Apr. 21, Dr Jim & Kathi Herrin for dinner! (Jim was 1st Pres. of inYou in TX)
- May 18, Chase graduates from Wofford College! (Double major in Chemistry & Chinese. Pray for emplyment!)
- May 30-June 1, Nephew, Hub Blankenship III’s, wedding in Washington, DC.
- June 21-28: Kentucky Mission Trip Prison Ministry with FBS.
- July 5-12: Beach Vacation with the family!
- Summertime visits from TX friends, Day’s, Berwick’s, Hayes’, Walker’s, Others?!
View InYou Window Newsletter in Browser